Image Map

Education of the Heart

I loved Allanah’s expression that to “To read is to grow, not to retreat.” I, too, read to feel better and, further, to understand. I read to gain insight into viewpoints other than my own. I read to expand the narrow capacity of my own mind and heart. I read for the “aha” moments that go right to my core. Rudyard Kipling said, “Fiction is truth’s older sister.” I interpret this to mean that there is a wisdom found in fiction that is mature beyond mere facts. There is an education of the heart that comes with reading fine fiction written for any age.

Just a few titles that have been this education for me are:

Les Misérables, by Victor Hugo
Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley
The Bronze Bow, by Elizabeth George Speare
A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine l'Engle



- Anita

Anita is the Children's Book buyer for the BYU Bookstore and has worked at the BYU Bookstore for over ten years! Anita spreads her love of reading within our Children's Books department and with many local book events.

No comments:

Post a Comment