Image Map

Happy Birthday Robert Frost!

On this day 138 years ago, Robert Frost was born. 

As soon as I hear Robert Frost's name, the specific lines from his most famous poem "The Road Not Taken" come to my mind, 

"two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."



My initial reaction to this poem is to ponder on my life and the decisions I've made, how I believe I have chosen a path "less traveled by," and how it's made all the difference in my life.


But when this poem gets a closer look, rather than just drawing a conclusion from the final stanza, it's clear that Frost doesn't imply that there's a way in life that is better and deviates us from the ordinary life. 


Instead Frost is simply stating that there are always points where we have to make one decision and let go of the other. Though they are different, one is not necessarily better. In stanza two he says, "Then took the other, as just as fair...Though as for that, the passing there / Had worn them really about the same."


Frost is contemplative on how different his life would have been if he chose another path instead of stating that he's proud of the road he chose. He's more reflective and questioning his original decision. Though it changed his entire life and "made all the difference," he contemplates  how the other path could have "made all the difference."


Either way, we wish Robert Frost a happy birthday!


Do you ever wonder how different life would be if you made a different choice earlier on in your life? Do you think it would have been for better or for worse?

Find Robert Frost's poems at the BYU Bookstore in general books.

No comments:

Post a Comment