Image Map

Books for Valentines Day


I stumbled upon Time Magazine's "Top 10 Romantic Books," in which the listed the following novels as the most romantic works:
  1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
  2. Troilus and Criseyde by Chaucer
  3. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
  4. Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
  5. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  6. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
  7. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
  8. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
  9. The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
  10. The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter

I'm familiar with one, three, five and six. And I wouldn't argue against those. I can't ever forget Ms. Bennett or Mr. Darcy, or Gatsby and Daisy, or Catherine and Heathcliff. 

May I propose another to this list that is more well-known than some listed above: Gone With the Wind. I realize those characters were extremely frustrating and debatebly more selfish than romantic, but there's some iconic romantic moments there...

And I have a feeling several Nicholas Sparks could be proposed to this list. Perhaps they didn't make the list because TIME was choosing those that have survived the test of time. Do you think any of Sparks's novels will become classics? If nothing else, I would argue that The Notebook will be a timeless movie.



Do you think this list is accurate, good, or is something missing? 

Oh yes, and Happy Valentines Day! 

-Hillary

No comments:

Post a Comment