Image Map

Poetry Month - Keep a Poem in Your Pocket


I love poetry month!   BYU Bookstore’s “share a poem to enter” drawing brings such a great variety of poems my way.  Each year I add poems to my collection that I have never heard before.   Poems that make me laugh, poems that send shivers through me at their pure beauty, poems that make me ponder life, poems that open a solution to a dilemma I’ve puzzled over,  or poems that bless me with an unforgettable epiphany of truth.  

Official 2012 flyer at poets.org. 
I think the best gift you can give new parents is a poetry anthology.  It offers the potential of hours of enjoyment.  If you are concerned with muti-tasking, a few moments spent with a child cuddled on your lap reciting or reading poetry can hardly be beat.  It establishes bonds, values, love of words and learning, deep thinking or comic relief.  Memorization of simple nursery rhymes grows into the ability to remember epic poems, math facts, scriptures.  

I am convinced of this by years of watching students in my library who were struggling and their improvement when the lore of memorizing poems drew them in.  I know it is not the cure for all the world’s problems but keeping a poem in your pocket, or in your head can help.  This month I celebrate that!

Keep a Poem In Your Pocket

By: Beatrice Schenk de Regniers
Keep a poem in your pocket
and a picture in your head
and you'll never feel lonely
at night when you're in bed.
The little poem will sing to you
the little picture bring to you
a dozen dreams to dance to you
at night when you're in bed.
So---
Keep a picture in your pocket
and poem in your head
and you'll never feel lonely
at night when you're in bed. 


-Anita

No comments:

Post a Comment